Day 1 - Holy Moley: I'm gonna be busy this week!


Today was my first day at Effie and I can honestly say I am more tired today than I have been after spending an entire day at West Valley.  One would think that I would be energetic given that I didn't have to be at the school unit 9:30 a.m. instead of 7:15 a.m.  However, I saw six classes instead of my regular three, and I saw every student, at the very least, twice. There were some students I saw up to four times.  

My mentors for the week are Mr. Bowen and Mr. Snow.  I spent all day with Mr. Bowen who teaches English, Developmental English, World History, and Health!  He has a lot on his plate needless to say! His background is in English so when he introduced me to the students he said, "you guys are in for a real treat! Mrs. Salinas is a history expert and will be taking over for history this week." It was amusing to hear the students reaction which was very welcoming and most of them seemed excited.  

It turns out that I came in right in the middle of WWI in the history class, so Mr. Bowen asked that I take the rest of the week and do an overview of what they had already talked about and finish up the war.  Initially I didn't think that it would take a whole week to do this.  However, when you take into account that the classes are shorter by almost half and the students require a longer period of time to fully attain comprehension of the material, this task would definitely take me all week.   Of course I was  more than happy to oblige, and I am excited to bring in other sources besides the text for the students to absorb themselves in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment