Day 2: Excitement over power point!



Today went really good.  The kids warmed up to me quickly.  I find it funny and interesting that my ethnicity played a role in their immediate acceptance of me.   I found that students were eager to listen to someone that was actually talking to them and not reading out of text book.  All eyes were on me for 50 minutes and I felt a sense of appreciation and INTEREST!!! Students were interested in HISTORY! Imagine that! 

The classroom was not equipped with a power point viewer so I had to track one down and set it up, which was definitely a test of my technological prowess (had to find help!). With so, little time to prep for the lesson, I figured a power point was better than reading from the text, and it ended up being a big hit.  The students loved the pictures and sound effects, etc.  I mixed up their routine and they were interested in seeing where I was going with it.  

World History was not the only subject area I was involved in.  Students were practicing for the HSQE in English.  Since there was a combination of freshman and sophomores the class was divided between Mr. Bowen and I.  I was given the freshman class and sent to computer lab to work with them.  There were about 5 students the first class and about 7 students the second class.  Students were more interested in talking to me about history or their lives than focusing on the practice tests.  I acknowledged that having been in their shoes, I would be agreeable to talk about anything else besides english grammar!  After offering them some of my time I asked for some of theirs and work got done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment